Slow Food North Louisiana Chairwoman Angie White made this recipe (found on the website for Henry Harbor) as a cooking deomnstration for the 2014 Fall Planting Day at the Valencia Youth Garden. It was a big hit with the kids!
8 cups okra – sliced length wise
4 slices bacon- but I use a whole pack because I’m going to eat a few slices!
1 Vidalia onion chopped
2 tablespoons sliced garlic cloves
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 package of smoked sausage, sliced (local options include Mahaffey Farms and Down Home, but it’s your choice)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Cook the bacon in the oven or on the stove top as instructed on the package. Set the grease aside. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
Saute the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add okra, tomatoes (do not drain), sausage, chicken broth, bacon grease, sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
Bring it all to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add crumbled bacon.
Most Southerners serve this over rice. I added a little twist, and made elbow pasta.
Makes 16 2″ squares. Recipe shared at Family Fitness Fest.
- 8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
- 1½ ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately½ cup
- 3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
- 1½ ounces wheat germ, approximately ½ cup
- 6 ounces honey, approximately ½ cup
- 1¾ ounces dark brown sugar, approximately ¼ cup packed
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6½ ounces chopped dried fruit,
Enough sauce for 4 servings. Handed out at the Family Fitness Fest.
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped tomatoes, canned or about 6 fresh, peeled tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¹⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms Continue reading
- (No Upcoming Events)