Garden Spaghetti Sauce
Enough sauce for 4 servings. Handed out at the Family Fitness Fest.
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped tomatoes, canned or about 6 fresh, peeled tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¹⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
Heat olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat; add onion, cooking about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, wine, carrots, parsley, basil, sugar, and salt. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Add sliced zucchini and mushrooms; cook until sauce is thick, about 20 minutes longer. Sauce can be served chunky or it can be pureed in a food processor so kids will be more likely to eat it. Serve with hot cooked pasta.
- Give What You Can on Earth Day and Become a Slow Food Member on April 22, 2018 12:00 am
- Give for Good to Slow Food North Louisiana on May 1 on May 1, 2018 12:00 am