Makes 16 2″ squares. Recipe shared at Family Fitness Fest.
- 8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
- 1½ ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately½ cup
- 3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
- 1½ ounces wheat germ, approximately ½ cup
- 6 ounces honey, approximately ½ cup
- 1¾ ounces dark brown sugar, approximately ¼ cup packed
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6½ ounces chopped dried fruit,
Butter a 9″×9″ glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300°F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into 16 2″ squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe from Alton Brown, Good Eats Market & Café
- Field Trip: Haute Goat Creamery on June 25, 2017 2:00 pm